Super refreshing you won't believe this whole30 ice cream is made with just three ingredients. Creamy, rich, and bursting with blackberries, this healthy ice cream whips up in a pinch!
Use this vegan dessert to cool down in the summer, indulge a craving, or curl up in the warmth with a burst of flavor.
As a Certified Nutrition Coach, I love that this whole30 ice cream is made with just three simple ingredients- and no ice cream maker!
It makes a healthy dessert swap for regular ice cream and is a big hit with kids.
Plus, with its blackberry flavor it's the perfect way to cool down in the summer.
You'll love this ice cream mixture because:
- Allergy-friendly (dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, paleo, vegan, whole30)
- Easy to make (you don't even need an ice cream maker)
- Light & refreshing
Ingredients You'll Need
A lot of whole30 ice cream recipes use coconut milk or coconut cream as the base. And though coconut milk definitely works, it tends to result in a harder ice cream that "flakes" when frozen.
This healthy ice cream recipe goes a different route!
Frozen bananas: this is what gives the whole30 ice cream its creamy base. You must use frozen bananas otherwise you'll just have a smoothie 😉
Fresh blackberries: you can use fresh or frozen blackberries but the fresh ones give a wonderful flavor burst and are easier on your blender.
Vanilla: adding a hint of flavor to the ice cream. You don't need this but it's worth it. Pro tip: Madagascar vanilla gives the best flavor!
Step By Step Photos
To make your life easier, make sure to peel the bananas prior to freezing them. The riper the bananas are when you pop them into the freezer, the sweeter this delicious dessert will be!
Depending on your food processor (I use a Vitamix which is extremely powerful), you may want to chop the bananas before popping them in.
This can be done before freezing or frozen as bananas don't freeze solid.
Regardless, this ice cream mixture is a great way to use up the bananas on the counter!
How To Serve It
This whole30 ice cream is silky, creamy, and overall a delicious dessert.
It can be enjoyed as soft-serve ice cream or a more traditional hard texture.
If you're looking for the ultra fluffy, soft serve version, serve immediately or chill for a brief period of time (30 minutes).
If you're looking to place this ice cream in a cone or like your ice cream more firm, place in the freezer t set for one hour instead.
Two options, both delicious.
Smoothies To Supercharge Your Energy
Ready to take your energy to a whole new level? I’ve gathered 15 of the best, superfood-based smoothie recipes perfect for busy moms who need a boost.
These recipes are:
- Dairy and gluten-free
- Superfood packed (think cacao, turmeric, etc)
- Made from whole foods for a natural energy boost
In a day in which you’re super busy, stay fueled on the go with these recipes! Grab your copy of Superfood Smoothies now for just $4
Frequently Asked Questions About Whole30 Ice Cream
Nice cream is a vegan, soft-serve dessert made from frozen bananas (or mangos) that resemble ice cream. Bananas become very creamy and ice cream-like when blended frozen. The trick is not to add too much liquid or it will be more like an indulgent smoothie.
Only if the ice cream is made from real, whole food ingredients and contains no processed sugars (not even maple syrup or honey). Instead, make whole30 ice cream by using fruits or dates as sweeteners.
This ice cream can be stored in a container in the freezer. However, it will freeze pretty solid. You'll need to let it sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature before you can scoop it again.
Other Healthy Recipe You'll Love
- Fudgy protein brownies
- Fizzy watermelon slushie
- Dairy-free gluten-free brownies
- Protein truffles
- Chocolate peanut butter ice cream
- Frozen banana bites
- Overnight cookie dough protein oats
- Triple berry paleo crumble
- Chocolate fudge protein balls
- High protein cookies
- Healthy dessert recipes
- High protein snack recipes
3 Ingredient Banana Blackberry Ice Cream
- 4 bananas frozen and sliced
- 10 blackberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a powerful blender or processor add in the chopped bananas. Addin the blackberries and vanilla. Processuntil combined.
- You will need to use a tamper to ensure it blends evenly or a silicone spatula to scrape the sides.
- This can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately as soft-serv ice cream (or place into a lined dish and freeze for thirty minutes.). Or, place in the freezer for 4-5 hours for a firmer ice cream consistency.
- You can easily sub in frozen blackberries for the fresh.
- However, you may need to pause and scrape down the sides a bit more depending on what machine you're using!
- To make it easier on your blender, chop the frozen bananas into chunks before using them. Likewise, make sure the bananas are completely frozen before using them.
- Failure to do this will result in smoothie-like consistency and not ice cream.
- Do not add liquid to make the process faster. This will ruin the consistency. Be patient, scape down the sides frequently, and keep going. Depending on your machine it can take anywhere from 3-10 minutes of scraping and blending.
- Top with drizzled almond butter if you're feeling extra indulgent!
- Makes 1.5-2 cups
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data"