HIIT workout for beginners (Fat Burning Workout, No Equipment)
This HIIT workout for beginners will boost your metabolism and scorch fat. The workout is equipment-free and takes only twenty minutes to complete. Use this at-home workout to lose weight and get fit!
An interval workout that will get your body fired up for sure! While this workout is geared towards beginners, it’s still intense enough for anyone more advanced.
The reason it’s classified as a beginner workout is that the intervals are broke up into supersets so there are a bit more rest times.
Likewise, there are not major plyometric (jumping) exercises. The only high-impact exercise is skipping. And if need be, that can be changed for standing high knee taps.
If you’re looking for a non-jumping workout, check out this no-equipment circuit instead!
How Long Should A Beginner HIIT Workout Be?
HIIT workouts can range from 2 minutes to 30 minutes. There is no perfect duration.
You can get a great workout with just 15-20 minutes of interval training. However, if you’re brand new, start small and scale up.
Each week (or every other) see if you can add an extra minute or set to your workout.
Is 20 Minutes Of HIIT Enough?
Definitely. It’s not the length of the workouts as much as the effort and intensity.
So long as you’re engaging the muscles and consistently scaling your effort, results will come.
All of this can easily be done in twenty minutes (or less!)
Is HIIT Good For Weight Loss?
Any workout can be used effectively for weight loss. However, given the intensity of interval training, it’s very effective when losing weight.
Part of weight loss is learning how to scale or progress workouts in intensity to get the biggest bang for your buck.
Learn more about the pillars of weight loss here
Beginner 20 Minute Hiit Workout
A1. Walking Lunges 10/leg
A2. Mountain Climbers 20s
Perform the exercises back to back. Rest for 15-30 seconds after the mountain climbers. Repeat for a total of three rounds.
B1. Squats With 3s Bottom Pause 10
B2. 100 skips
Perform the exercises back to back. Rest for 15-30 seconds after the skips. Repeat for a total of three rounds.
C1. Bear Crawl Tabata 20s:10s x6
Perform bear crawls for twenty seconds. Rest for ten seconds. Repeat for a total of six rounds.
Tips For Performing The Workout
One of the crucial elements when working out at home is learning how to properly engage your muscles and tweak your own form.
In particular, simply going through the motions as fast as you can, will become ineffective quickly. Instead, learn to slow it down and focus on engaging the muscles versus just doing.
Perform ten repetitions on each leg
- Begin standing upright
- Step forward with one leg and pause while you drop the back knee to the ground in a lunge position
- Make sure the weight is evenly distributed in the front foot and the knee tracks over the foot (not caves in and no leaning forwards)
- Pull up through the front foot and step forward with the back leg and repeat the movement
Perform this exercise for twenty seconds
- Begin in a plank position on your hands
- Alternating legs, bring one knee up towards your chest in an abdominal crunch
- Be sure to keep the hands under the shoulders and not to drop the low back
Squats With Bottom Pause
Perform ten repetitions
- Take your feet hip width or more apart
- Drive the hips back and bend at the knees to lower into your squat
- Drive the knees out
- Keep the weight in the back of the foot, chest up and pause at the bottom for three seconds
- Contract the glutes, drive the knees out and return to standing position
Perform 100 skips
- Holding onto the rope with both hands have the rope start behind you
- Turn the handles with momentum and hop over the rope when it comes
Note: you can mimic skips if you don’t have the room or a rope
Perform this exercise for twenty seconds, rest for ten seconds and repeat.
- come onto all fours lifting the knees so that they hover above the ground
- keeping the hips low move one hand and the opposite leg forward
- repeat on the other side and begin to crawl forward
- perform the crawls forward and backwards
And of course, if you need more (more support, more visual, more accountability!) hit up my follow-along workout page! All you need to do is choose your workout, hit play, and work out WITH me.
Don’t Forget To Pin This HIIT Workout For Beginners
This beginner 20-minute HIIT workout has all the perks of interval training but it a bit less intense than normal routines.
It allows you to take longer rest breaks between sets and balances all of your muscle groups throughout the exercises.
It’s speedy, effective, and a great addition to your at-home workout routine!