20 minute Hiit Workout For Beginners
Interval training is a great way to stay fit without sacrificing a lot of time. This beginner 20 minute hiit workout targets all major muscle groups but as it is geared towards beginners you’ll have a bit more breaks. It’s an easy and fast workout to squeeze in at home (here’s ten other awesome at home workouts!) and it’ll leave your breathless and feeling worked.
Beginner 20 Minute Hiit Workout
A1. Walking Lunges 10/leg
A2. Mountain Climbers 20s
B1. Squats With 3s Bottom Pause 10
B2. 100 skips
C1. Bear Crawl Tabata 20s:10s x6
Perform exercises A1 & A2 back to back for the prescribes number of reps. Take thirty to forty five seconds rest and repeat for a total of three rounds. Do this for exercises B1 & B2 also.
For the bear crawls, perform the bear crawls for twenty seconds. Rest for ten seconds and repeat for a total of six rounds.
Most people by now have heard of high intensity interval training. It’s a great option to stay fit when you’re in a time crunch. It’s also a great tool to have on hand at home if you can’t make it to a gym!
And while I love circuit intervals, this beginner hiit workout is a bit more tame. While there is some jumping in the workout (if you’re a new mom here’s why you shouldn’t jump!) the jumps are easy to modify to your ability.
Fun disclaimer: this 20 minute HIIT workout is designed for fun and the “average person”. I don’t know you or your abilities/strengths. If something feels off or wrong, stop. There are always ways to modify a movement and you should not work through pain. If you need help creating a workout geared specifically for you, check out my personal training website here.
Perform ten repetitions on each leg
- Begin standing upright
- Step forward with one leg and pause while you drop the back knee to the ground in a lunge position
- Make sure the weight is evenly distributed in the front foot and the knee tracks over the foot (not caves in and no leaning forwards)
- Pull up through the front foot and step forward with the back leg and repeat the movement
Perform this exercise for twenty seconds
- Begin in a plank position on your hands
- Alternating legs, bring one knee up towards your chest in an abdominal crunch
- Be sure to keep the hands under the shoulders and not to drop the low back
Squats With Bottom Pause
Perform ten repetitions
- Take your feet hip width or more apart
- Drive the hips back and bend at the knees to lower into your squat
- Drive the knees out
- Keep the weight in the back of the foot, chest up and pause at the bottom for three seconds
- Contract the glutes, drive the knees out and return to standing position
Perform 100 skips
- Holding onto the rope with both hands have the rope start behind you
- Turn the handles with momentum and hop over the rope when it comes
Note: you can mimic skips if you don’t have the room or a rope
Perform this exercise for twenty seconds, rest for ten seconds and repeat.
- come onto all fours lifting the knees so that they hover above the ground
- keeping the hips low move one hand and the opposite leg forward
- repeat on the other side and begin to crawl forward
- perform the crawls forward and backwards
This beginner 20 minute hiit workout has all the perks of interval training but it a bit less intense than normal routines.
It allows you to take longer rest breaks between sets and balances all of your muscle groups throughout the exercises.
It’s speedy, effective and a great addition to your at home workout routine!