Boosting Your Health with Algae
Gut health and the immune system have been a hot topic as of late and with good reason. The better off our immune system is the healthier we are, so it only makes sense to want to do everything we can to give it a boost.
And while eating quality meals and drinking water is great, our bodies need a more.
Unfortunately, so many of us become overwhelmed when it comes to the choices, we make every day. We’re unsure of what we can do to help our bodies thrive. Of which foods specifically to incorporate and how often.
And today we want to help with that. Today we’re breaking down one of my favorite health hacks and how it can boost the immune system and help you THRIVE.
What Is Algae
It is is a functional food that has been used worldwide, most notably in Asia for over 50 years where it is well known as the most nutrient-dense food in the world.
One gram of algae has the nutritional equivalent of 1000 grams of fruits and veggies.
Just like other veggies, it is a crop that is grown and harvested. There are two subcategories or algae:
- macroalgae (seaweed, kelp, big stringy stuff you see in the ocean but not a lot of nutritional benefits
- microalgae: there are blue algae and blue-green algae
There are thousands of strains of blue-green algae and green algae growing in saps, soil or lakes. These are fine for animals however there are only two blue-green algae safe for humans: spirulina and chlorella.
Benefits Of Chlorella
Chlorella is a green algae and has the highest concentration of chlorophyll in the world. Chlorophyll
- is alkaline
- is cleansing (it helps heal cell walls to boost the immune system)
- chlorella as 1000 times for chlorophyll than liquid greens
- chlorella has a hard cell wall which is beneficial because it attacks to toxins (alcohol, heavy metal etc) and helps pull it out of the system
- Chlorella is an immune booster, it helps you recover your health
Benefits Of Spirulina
Blue-green algae has the highest concentration of protein in the world (64% and animal protein comes in at 22%).
- reduces muscle fatigue
- high concentration of B vitamins
- an energizing algae
- improves memory
- high in fatty acids
- boosts energy
- satisfies hunger
- contains 40 vitamins and minerals
Who Should Take Algae?
Everyone! Algae can help boost the immune system of everyone and can be used by everyone from athletes to the elderly and everyday moms with some benefit.
Algae is ideal for kids because it’s such a big band for our buck. Given that it is so nutrient-dense it means that you don’t need a lot to reap the benefits which makes getting healthy foods into kids a bit easier.
Algae is perfect for anyone looking to improve their health, wellness, and daily energy.
Should I Take An Algae Energybit or Use A Powder?
As a busy mom, I’ll be the first to admit that the powders can be a nuisance. I do keep both spirulina and chlorella on hand however working them into smoothies or balls can be challenging because of the taste.
Having the option of an algae table is really just easier for more people. No need to make an prepare a meal when you can just grab a tic-tac like a bit.
Both ways of taking in algae will provide immense benefits but it’s personal preference as to which you find easier.
Where Can I Buy ENERGYBits?
You can read more resources on Energybits below or check them out on Catherine’s website. For listeners of the podcast, she’s offering 20% off if you use code mamabear at checkout.
I’m a firm believer that boosting your immune system and health needs a holistic approach. There’s no one perfect system. However, there are a lot of nutrient-dense, immune-boosting options to help you along the way and algae is definitely one of them.
My goal for you this week is to embrace health hacks! As busy moms sometimes the best thing we can do is keep it simple.
- Why algae is FOOD not a supplement
- Why the world needs algae
- Algae Comparison: Spirulina algae v.s chlorella algae
- Introduction to ENERGYbits
- Three products described
- Improve Wellness with algae
- Women’s Health with Algae
- Improve Athletic performance with algae
- Algae for Keto Diets
- Prevent Aging and disease with algae
- Spirulina and mothers breast milk have similar nutrient profiles
- Algae has the highest concentration of chlorophyll in the world
- Algae is the most eco-friendly and sustainable crop in the world