HIIT Cardio Workout At Home – 1 Dumbbell, 20 Minutes, Strengthen & Tone
Use this HIIT cardio workout at home to strengthen and tone your muscles! Done in only twenty minutes, this at-home cardio workout is sure to leave you breathless. Likewise, with only five exercises this HIIT workout for women is definitely a leg burner!
When it comes to interval training, I’ve found that you either love it or hate it. Regardless, it can be an insanely effective way to see fitness results in a short amount of time (and Tabata workouts are a great way to get started!).
Indeed, this 20 min HIIT cardio workout is easy to implement (you only need one dumbbell) and it targets every major muscle group in your body.
20 Min HIIT Cardio Workout At Home
This 20 Minute HIIt Cardio workout at home combines both strength and cardiovascular exercises. The strength exercises are combo exercises (meaning they target more than one muscle group) and the cardio intervals require you to perform a plyometric type exercise (check out why new mamas should avoid plyometrics here!)
In fact, combining strength and cardio exercises together is a great way to boost fat loss and get the biggest bang for your buck regarding shorter workouts.
- Reverse Lunge With Parlof Press 8/leg
- Plank Jacks 30s
- Sumo Squats With 3 second Bottom Pause 10
- Bounds 30s
- Reverse Plank With Leg Lift 8 per leg
Perform each exercise back to back for the prescribed repetitions or time. Then, rest for thirty to forty-five seconds and repeat for a total of three rounds.
How To Perform The Exercises In The Cardio HIIT Workout At Home
One of the crucial elements when working out at home is learning how to properly engage your muscles and tweak your own form.
In particular, simply going through the motions as fast as you can, will become ineffective quickly. Instead, learn to slow it down and focus on engaging the muscles versus just doing.
Thus, below are a few tips on how to properly perform the exercises in this at-home workout.
Reverse Lunge With Parlof Press
Perform eight repetitions on each leg.
- Begin standing upright with the dumbbell at chest height
- Step back with your right leg and lower into a lunge position
- Keep the weight evenly distributed in the front foot making sure to bend the back knee- do not lean forward
- Press the weight out away from the chest only as far as you can maintain your lunge position
- Return the weight to your chest and complete the lunge by standing up
This combo exercise forces you to hold an isometric contraction in the lower body while you use your core muscles to press out the weight. Specifically, it’s a wonderful full-body movement.
Perform this exercise for 30 seconds.
- Come into a plank position on your hands.
- Do not let your low back drop towards the floor
- Keeping the weight in your hands jump the legs out to the sides of the body
- Jump the feet back in
This exercise is takes planking up to a new level by adding in a plyometric jump. Keep the core engaged and the hands under the shoulders (not pushing away) for maximum effect
Sumo Squats With A Pause
Perform this exercise for 10 reps
- Come into a sumo squat position with the feet wide and toes turned out slightly
- Hold the weight like a goblet at your chest
- Slowly lower into a bottom squat position taking extra care to open up the inner thighs and drive the knees out in line with the feet
- Pause at the bottom of the squat for three seconds while engaging the glutes
- Return to starting position
A challenging isometric progression to traditional sumo squats. Considering this, the glutes are very engaged in this exercise and the pause makes them work overtime.
Perform this exercise for thirty seconds
- come onto all fours lifting the knees so that they hover above the ground
- keeping the hips low move one hand and the opposite leg forward
- repeat on the other side and begin to crawl forward
- perform the crawls forward and backwards
This exercise targets the entire body but there’s extra work needed from the quads and shoulders. Thus, it takes us back to basic movements and really gets the hips and surrounding muscles fired up.
Reverse Plank With Leg Lift
Perform eight repetitions on each leg
- sitting on your bum place your hands behind you so that they are facing out sideways or away from you
- bend the knees so the feet are underneath the knees
- use your glutes to raise the hips into a plank or table top position
- keeping the hips lifted, contract the right glute too stabilize and lift the left foot off the floor
- return the foot and repeat on the other side
This exercise not only targets the glutes but requires mobility in the shoulders. Similarily, it challenges the body to hold the position and work on stability.
Don’t Forget To Pin This Cardio HIIT Workout At Home
This 20-min, at-home cardio workout can be done anywhere- all you need is one dumbbell. Furthermore, it’s a great option when you’re short on time and looking to boost your strength and endurance.
This workout requires all the muscles in your body and is a sure-fire way to get you sweaty.