A tender, slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe that takes under ten minutes to prep! This easy teriyaki chicken recipe is sweetened with honey to give you a sweet but healthy teriyaki sauce. Use this slow cooker recipe for a busy weeknight dinner or easy meal prep for gluten-free lunches.
As a Certified Nutrition Coach, I save time cooking dinner while still keeping the focus on healthy by making use of this slow cooker teriyaki chicken (and things like this slow cooker beef and broccoli)
Prep and pour all the ingredients into the slow cooker in under ten minutes. Then, cook on low and let the sweet flavors infuse while you’re at work.
Learn more about slow cookers and choosing the best one for your family (and how to use it!).
You'll Love This Recipe Because
- Results in juicy, tender, chicken bites
- Can be eaten on top of rice, roasted veggies, Buddha bowls, or noodles
- Makes a tasty, easy meal prep recipe (learn how to simplify meal prep to stay sane!)
- Is part of a clean eating diet, dairy-free, gluten-free, and paleo
- Is a hit with kids because of its sweet flavor
Ingredients You’ll Need
Chicken Breasts: you want quality, thick, boneless chicken breasts for this slow cooker teriyaki chicken so that the flavor has time to infuse into the bite-sized pieces
Honey: the gluten-free teriyaki sauce is naturally sweetened with honey. Opt for a local, unpasteurized jar for the best flavor.
Garlic & Ginger: simply flavored with these immune-boosting roots. While the sauce tastes best with fresh garlic, powdered will work in a pinch.
Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (Tamari): make sure to use a gluten-free soy sauce to keep the teriyaki chicken allergy-friendly. Or, opt for tamari which is an alternative to soy sauce (but tastes the same). Low sodium soy sauce works too.
Step By Step Photos
How To Make Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Slice the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and toss them in a bag with the arrowroot powder to coat.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker and mix to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve the slow cooker teriyaki chicken on your choice of grain or vegetable and top with green onions.
You only need ten minutes to prep this slow cooker teriyaki chicken.
How To Make Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce
The homemade teriyaki is made with Tamari in place of soy sauce in order to keep it gluten-free (just like in these teriyaki chicken skewers!)- though you can use gluten-free, low sodium soy sauce.
Once the slow cooker teriyaki chicken is cooked, much of the sauce will be absorbed into the chicken to create super juicy pieces.
The remaining sauce is delicious as is but it’s not “sticky”. If you’re looking for a sticky sauce, before serving, add in ½ teaspoon of additional arrowroot powder. Mix well and cook on high for 20 additional minutes.
This will create an easy, stickier version of the healthy teriyaki sauce.
Choosing Chicken For The Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Many slow cooker recipes will call for chicken thighs. However, this slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe uses skinless chicken breasts instead.
Much of this is a personal preference. However, know that if you opt for boneless skinless chicken thighs in the cock pot teriyaki chicken, you'd need to up the amount of arrowroot powder used.
This is because chicken thighs are naturally "juicier" than breasts. Thus, it will leave the gluten-free teriyaki sauce a lot thinner.
Important Teaching Tips
If it’s possible to stir the slow cooker teriyaki chicken while it’s cooking, do it. This ensures all the chicken breast pieces are coated.
However, it’s not fully necessary.
You can top the chicken after serving with either green onions or sesame seeds.
Low sodium soy sauce works for the recipe just make sure it;s gluten-free.
How To Serve The Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
The recipe itself is only for the slow cooker teriyaki chicken. How you serve it is up to you.
If you need to keep the recipe paleo, serve the teriyaki chicken on top of spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice, or lots of veggies.
If you only need to keep the chicken gluten-free, you can pop it on top of rice or mixed into a pasta dish with additional veggies and then top it with some green onions for added flavor.
Lastly, this crock pot teriyaki chicken works well as a meal prep recipe too. Whip up a big batch and use it on top of salads, wraps, or portion it into a bowl.
Our favorite way to enjoy it is on top of rice with steamed broccoli or roasted cauliflower on the side (hubby tops his with extra soy sauce!).
Healthy Dinners In 30 Minutes Or Less
Struggling to make dinnertime WORK for your hectic lifestyle?
If you’re looking for even more easy, healthy dinner recipes, check out The Busy Moms E-Cookbook- simple dinners for busy moms, where I’ve gathered 30 healthy dinner recipes that can be made in thirty minutes or less.
- Simple and healthy
- Dairy & gluten-free
- Real-food based that focus on nutrients not fillers
- Busy mom approved
Plus get bonus tips on how I food prep as a mom of three, how to make healthy eating simple & pantry staples to stock up on.
Frequently Asked Questions About Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
So long as you're cooking the chicken for an extended period of time (4-6 hours), you can put raw chicken in the slow cooker. The fewer ingredients you put into the slow cooker with the chicken (and the smaller the pieces of chicken) the less time it will take to cook fully.
It’s better to cook chicken on low in a crock pot and use a lot of liquid. This ensures that the chicken will come out juicy and tender. It also prevents the chance that it will overcook, rendering it dry.
You can definitely overcook chicken in a slow cooker. One way to avoid overcooking the chicken breasts is to ensure there is a lot of liquid in the crock pot for the chicken to absorb.
More Healthy Dinner Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Slow cooker Tuscan Chicken
- Slow cooker balsamic chicken
- Slow cooker chicken alfredo
- Stovetop venison stew
- Baked teriyaki chicken thighs
- Chili for a crowd
- 33 Dairy and gluten-free dinners
- 3 minute teriyaki meatballs
- One pot chicken alfredo
- Easy cauliflower rice
- One pot sausage and tomato pasta
- 45 dinner ideas for busy nights
- 30 minute chicken fajita bowl
- 30 minute dinner ideas
- Easy, healthy dinners
Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized chunks
- ⅛ cup arrowroot powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon Ground ginger
- ⅛ cup honey
- ¼ cup tamari gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- In a large plastic baggie, coat the chicken bites in arrowroot powder.
- Add them to the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the gluten-free teriyaki sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Serve on a side of rice, spaghetti squash or noodles, and veggies.
- The remaining sauce in the slow cooker is delicious as is but it’s not “sticky”. If you’re looking for a sticky teriyaki sauce, before serving, add in ½ teaspoon of additional arrowroot powder. Mix well and cook on high for 20 additional minutes.
- If it’s possible to stir the crock pot teriyaki chicken while it’s cooking, do it. This ensures all the chicken breast pieces are coated. However, it’s not fully necessary.
- You can top the teriyaki chicken after serving with either green onions or sesame seeds.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data"