Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake-DF
Recipes for coffee cake don’t normally contain real coffee but this apple cinnamon coffee cake does! Easy to make and just as tasty as any cookie (here’s a list of my favorite cookie recipes!). This apple coffee cake recipe contains minimal sugars but a whole lot of flavors.
This cinnamon coffee cake recipe is perfect to bring to the next random gathering or for brunch on the weekend. It’s sweet but not too sweet because while my hubby loves sugar, I personally do not have a sugar addiction 😛 It contains simple ingredients to keep it healthy but the best part will always be that the coffee cake recipecontains actual freaking coffee.
Grab Your Printable
Healthy Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake
An apple cinnamon coffee cake is moist, sweet and best of all healthy! It contains minimal sugars, real coffee and lots of real food ingredients. Plus, it has that delicious coffee flavor!
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- How to make healthy coffee cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the first six ingredients. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl combine the remaining wet ingredients & whisk together.
- Pour wet into dry and mix until combined.'
- In a mini bowl, stir together the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon topping.
- Grease an 8x4 loaf pan.
- Pour half the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle half the topping mixture.
- Pour the remaining mixture on top and sprinkle the topping mixture. Divide the walnuts over the batter and drizzle the maple syrup.
- Bake in the oven for 32-35 minutes.
- Let sit in the loaf pan for fifteen minutes before removing.
Note: all of these health boosting ingredients can be purchased through my favorite retailer Well.ca– and the best part is that they offer free shipping!
Perks Of This Coffee Cake Recipe
- It’s dairy free – here are some daily tips on cutting dairy if you need them
- Contains minimal processed sugars
- A unique flavor twist on a classic dessert
- Simple ingredients you probably already have
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
My Hilarious Cinnamon Coffee Cake Attempts
Coffee cake has always reminded me of old ladies and random parties (bridal, baby, second aunts birthday. You know random). And to be honest, the last thing I think of when it comes to this kind of cake is the word healthy.
So when I began my attempts at creating a healthy recipe for coffee cake, I started with almond meal. I use this as the base for a lot of my desserts and breakfasts to be truthful (almond pancakes anyone??) because it helps keep recipes light, low carb and healthy.
So I started out with almond meal and coffee and knowing that I wanted to keep the sugar content pretty low. Obviously this apple coffee cake wouldn’t be a recipe for baby bear due to the caffeine so a bit of sugar was ok but I do like to minimize.
My first attempt was awful. Like truly horrific. It was kind of like eating thick aw dust. And because I refuse to waste anything I totally ate it. I smothered it in chia jam but I freaking ate it.
After much thinking and lots of tweaking though, I finally had a coffee cake recipe I was proud of. Even the hubby devoured it and he typically stays away from my baking (not because it’s bad but because he has a sugar addiction and won’t eat things without it. Drives me bonkers but that’s a rant for another day..).
Don’t forget to pin this Cinnamon Coffee Cake
This cinnamon apple coffee cake is soft, moist and best of all healthy. It contains real coffee and minimal sugars. It makes the perfect healthy dessert to bring to showers and birthdays or to make for a comforting weekend brunch. Easy to make and deliciously coffee flavored.