Use this total-body, beginner TRX workout to get fit at home! TRX suspension straps are one of the best pieces of at-home workout equipment you can have on hand. This four exercise, at-home TRX workout is done in just ten minutes but it does come with a wicked core finisher!
Why Use TRX Straps For At-Home Workouts
If you’ve never used TRX straps before, you may be wondering why I love them so much! I adore them for a couple of reasons:
- You can use them anywhere- even the back of a door in a hotel room
- They’re pretty cost-effective from an equipment perspective
- You can target the entire body with them
- You can adjust the intensity level of an exercise by where you stand
- They’re low impact- making them great for anyone who has been injured or has a stick range of motion
One of the biggest struggles when you workout at home with little to no equipment is that it’s very difficult to target your posterior chain- specifically your back muscles!
Unfortunately, these are the muscles we need to work on the most because they help us correct our ever-crappy posture. And unless you’re a pull-up junkie, most bodyweight training programs omit that region.
TRX, on the other hand, makes hitting your posterior chain beyond easy!
Like any other workout, make sure you're paying attention to your form! It's easy to "go through the motions" when it comes to at-home workouts. However, learning to engage the correct muscles will give you the biggest bang for your buck.
A few tips on the Beginner TRX Workout:
- Don't just use your biceps on the low row. The point of a row is to engage your back muscles. So, pull the shoulders back before bending the elbows. And keep the shoulders away from your ears
- On the lunge, hinge forward a bit at your hips. This will fire up the back of the leg more than the front. This doesn't mean round your upper back. It does mean stick out your bum and lean a bit. Also, keep the weight in the heel and sink backward.
- The hamstring runner is tricky and if you're not there yet, opt for hamstring curls instead. Focus on keeping your bum squeezed to help support your lower back.
Remember, one of the reasons I love TRX suspensions straps (aside from being able to use them anywhere) is that you can adjust the intensity of the exercise based on your stance. Meaning, YOU are in control. So, scale back where you need to.
Quick Tip: I am not offering follow along videos on my YouTube Channel. If you find you need a bit more support in terms of form and prefer to follow along with me while I personally do the workouts, hop on over!
At Home TRX Workout
A1. Low row x10 reps
A2. Cross balance lunge x8 reps per leg
A3. Face pull x10 reps
A4. Hamstring runner x20 seconds
Perform each exercise for the prescribed number of repetitions back to back without rest. At the end of the four exercises, rest for 45-60 seconds and repeat. Perform 3-4 times depending on time.
TRX Ab Workout At Home
Don't forget about your core! TRX makes it so core training is not only fun but extremely effective. These TRX ab exercises are a bit more advanced than you may be ready for. So, I've included the regressions (step back) if you need them.
TRX straps are fun in the sense that they challenge your core muscles more than most pieces of equipment because you’re in an angled plane of motion. You need to stabilize more.
Coupled that with direct core work when you’re suspended and exercises on these straps can pack a punch.
These two exercises are a couple of my favorites and they do challenge the shoulders also. They make a fun finisher (you’ll feel your obliques tomorrow if you’re not used to these!) and they get the core fired up.
Like all other exercises, focus on form first and make sure you can activate properly within the exercises otherwise scale down.
The TRX Core Finisher
Perform each exercise for the prescribed number of repetitions back to back without rest. At the end of the set, rest for 45-60 seconds and repeat. Perform 2-3 times depending on time.
Don't forget to pin this Beginner TRX Workout!
This TRX beginner workout at home makes for an awesome workout on a busy day! It’s quick yet focuses on all the right muscles. Thus, it's perfect for moms. On top of that, you can do it anywhere. TRX suspension straps make an awesome piece of at-home workout equipment- they’re easy to use and low impact but can pack a punch. Thanks to the quickness of this workout it also makes it perfect to squeeze into nap time… or in my case just allow your kids to crawl all over you 😛
[color-box color='' customcolorpicker='']
Get Strong At Home... In Just 16 Weeks!
If you’re looking to get fit, strong, and be able to keep up with your kiddos, check out How To Get Strong At Home – Busy Mom Edition. My 4 month, easy to follow, full-body workouts, perfect for busy moms.
This strength training will program take you through basic full-body workouts and slowly builds upon the routines over a sixteen-week period to progressively boost strength.
- can be done at home (you’ll begin using just your bodyweight and then progress to resistance band training)
- are broken up into four workouts each week
- are completed in 20-30 minutes (most under twenty)
- come with full video demonstrations and a step by step breakdown of how to perform them, exactly like being in the studio with me!
The difference between these workouts and other at-home workout routines is that these full-body workouts are progressive.
Meaning, they build on one another. Every four weeks the workouts change, and the exercises are slightly more advanced than they were before. This is crucial to developing strength.
The best way to see results is to have a plan. And this one is easily set out for you – no thinking required!
Because being strong isn’t optional when you’re a mom. Grab your copy of the How To Get Strong AF E-Book (when you click on the button a new window will open that will take you to securely process payment)